NAv6 offers two post graduate degrees in Advanced Computer Network by research and a newly introduced Master of Science (Internet Engineering) (mixed mode) for students interested in the field of Next Generation Network (NGN). NGN is a broad term to describe some key architectural evolution in telecommunication core and access networks that is currently being actively developed and deployed. NGN is defined by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) as
… a packet-based network able to provide services including Telecommunication Services and able to make use of multiple broadband, QoS-enabled transport technologies and in which service-related functions are independent from underlying transport-related technologies. It offers unrestricted access by users to different service providers. It supports generalized mobility which will allow consistent and ubiquitous provision of services to users.
Among the criteria of NGN are;
- Packet-based transfer
- Separation of control functions among bearer capabilities, call/session, and application/ service
- Decoupling of service provision from network, and provision of open interfaces
- Support for a wide range of services, applications and mechanisms based on service building blocks (including real time/ streaming/ non-real time services and multi-media)
- Broadband capabilities with end-to-end QoS and transparency
- Interworking with legacy networks via open interfaces
- Generalized mobility
- Unrestricted access by users to different service providers
- A variety of identification schemes which can be resolved to IP addresses for the purposes of routing in IP networks
- Unified service characteristics for the same service as perceived by the user
- Converged services between Fixed/Mobile
- Independence of service-related functions from underlying transport technologies
- Compliant with all Regulatory requirements, for example concerning emergency communications and security/privacy, etc.
- RS82 – Master of Science (Advanced Computer Networks)
- Master of Science (Internet Engineering) [Mixed Mode]
- R07 – Doctor of Philosophy
This is a cross discipline and cross platform program.
- NGN01 – Next Generation Multimedia Communication and Telemedicine
- NGN02 – Advanced Internet Security and Monitoring
- NGN03 – Next Generation Internet and IPv6
- NGN04 – Satellite and Wireless Communication
- NGN05 – Advanced Virtual Reality
- NGN06 – Cellular Mobile Technologies
- NGN07 – Internet Governance & Policy
Applicants should possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with Honours in Computer Science/Electric & Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering/Information Technology or equivalent.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75/4 or equivalent.
- A Master’s with minimum CGPA 3.00/4 or equivalent, or
- Bachelor’s (First Class Honours or minimum CGPA of 3.67/4) degree in Computer Science/Electric and Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering/Information Technology or equivalent.
Applicants not meeting the minimum CGPA requirement as stated above, are still eligible to apply with additional requirement. Visit this page for details.
For International Applicants:
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper- based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- A minimum score of 213 in Computer-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) ; or
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet-based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) ; or
- A minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
For Malaysian Applicants
- A minimum score of band 4 in MUET (Malaysian University English Test)
NOTE: Evidence of English language proficiency, such as test results, must be attached with the application form.
- Full-time : Min 2 semesters / Max 6 semesters
- Part-time : Min 4 semesters / Max 12 semesters
- Full-time : Min 4 semesters / Max 10 semesters
- Part-time : Min 6 semesters / Max 15 semesters
How to Apply?
Application can be made online via the Institute of Postgraduate Studied (IPS) portal here. [The link will open in a new browser page]
New applicant must register for a free account on the IPS Online Portal before applying.